I missed the deadline, I didn’t finish the second song.

A quick recap: my goal is to write four songs in twelve weeks. I’ve allocated a fortnight to writing and recording each song, and will be devoting the final four weeks to making everything sound amazing (that’s called mixing and mastering).

It’s a good challenge, because I feel like I could spend forever fiddling around with everything, getting tangled up in all the infinite possibilities that creep up at every step of the journey.

Today, Thursday, marks the start of week five and Song 3. My goodness! Time flies.

What Happened With The Second Song

I wrote the guitars using the non-standard tuning DADGAD. It’s good for big, floaty chords. Nice and vague-sounding, but it ended up driving me crazy towards the end of the fortnight. After playing them a million times, my gorgeous, floaty chords started sounding discordant and dull to me, and so I got a fright and stripped a lot of the music back.

In the first part of the song, I ended up with a melody played on the 5th guitar string, alternating with the 4th string played open – the note G. (Edit: I meant the 2nd and 3rd guitar strings. The 1st string is the thinnest, highest-pitched string, which is nearest the floor when you hold a guitar – unless you’re doing something pretty unusual. Tunings are given from the lowest-pitched to the highest-pitched string, so DADGAD labels the strings in the order 654321. Confusing!) I grew to dislike the twanginess of the repetitive G, which seemed to clash with the sweeping chords that my other guitar part was to play, so I got rid of the chords and replaced them with simple octaves. Less potential for clashy notes. I also took the first guitar’s part down an octave to see if that made it sound better, tuning the low A down to G temporarily. Well, the whole section was left sounding rather thin, but I couldn’t afford to spend any more time on it. After that, writing a bass part got tricky. I’d erased any feel of a clear chord progression, so it was kind of hard to figure out which notes would work well. I had so much trouble with this song.

Sigh, forget everything I’ve just said! I’m going to describe that first part of the song as “spacious” and “pure” and pretend it’s exactly how I wanted it to sound.

Coffee and composing.

A post shared by mairi (@mairielise) on

I really like the second part of the song, which I named “hello friend”, since the melody has a cute, nostalgic feel to it. It’s simple but sweet, although I’m not sure how well it works in between the first and third sections of the song. I hoped the drums would play a role in connecting everything, but alas, at half past 11 last night I was still barely a quarter of the way through writing them, so I didn’t do the job very well.

I watched some drum videos on YouTube to try to get a better feel for it. I was amazed by the scope for creativity in drum parts! Ah, I’m such an ignorant guitarist. There are songs I’ve listened to and loved for years but have never really appreciated that vital part that holds the music together. In Song 1 I completely avoided using the crash or ride cymbals, so I went a bit crazy for them in the second song. I might have to tone it down a bit! I’ll definitely need to find some time to finish the drums and re-record a couple of guitar riffs. I promise I’ll be better organised with this fortnight’s song! Speaking of which, I suppose I should get started on that!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s